If you are injured as a passenger while using Uber, the steps to take immediately after the accident are generally the same steps you would take in any vehicle accident. They are:
- Call 911 and always get a copy of the police report.
- If you are not transported to a hospital for medical treatment, write down the names, contact information including addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc. of anyone involved directly in the accident. Don’t forget to get the drivers’ license number, license plate and insurance information from every vehicle involved in the accident.
- Write down the names, contact information including addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc. of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take photographs or video of the location of the accident, the condition of any car or property involved in the accident and any immediate injuries incurred by victims of the accident.
- Hire an experienced attorney to help you receive compensation if you suffered any serious medical injuries.
If the accident happened while you were on a trip and your driver is at fault, Uber and Lyft have insurance coverage up to $1 million dollars that will cover you. If you file a lawsuit, you must sue the at-fault driver and not Uber or Lyft directly, as well as the driver’s insurance company. The main reason that companies have these policies in effect is because most drivers will not be able to reimburse or pay your medical bills. If another driver is responsible for the accident, the other driver’s personal insurance will be responsible first. Both Uber and Lyft have uninsured motorist policies as well.
The only time you are able to sue the companies directly is if, for example, Uber hired a registered sex offender and that person assaulted a passenger. It is important to remember that Uber and other ridesharing drivers are independent contractors and not employees of the company. It is much easier to hold a company responsible for the actions of its employees than for the actions of the independent contractors that work for them.
If you or someone you love has been injured as a passenger in a ridesharing accident in Albany, call the experienced, skilled and compassionate attorneys at Finkelstein & Partners, LLP. We have been helping Albany vehicle accident victims for years and will help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. Call 518-452-2813 or email [email protected].